Monday, February 26, 2007

personal hygene 101

Hello ---------

Hows life ?

Good as well. Lucky you the son of the owner of this publinet is watching the place for his father. He’s like 8 or ten and he’s standing over my shoulder making sure I don’t go on any prohibited sites (which is most everything here) therefore my attention will not be taken away from t his script of the story that is my life.

So remember I was bragging out my French ? Yesterday I was talking to this guy for about 5 hours straight in French. I was feeling good about my accomplishments and abilities. Twenty minutes later we meet his brother. His brother asks him if I speak French. He held his hand out and rotated it as if turning a door knob except it was flat. At the same time he said something in Tunisian and made a frowny face. I think it meant stupid Canadians thinks he can but he really doesn’t got much but a few key prhases and some English words with French accents…….. However my Tunisian is no better than my French and I’ve been known to mistranslate before.

As it stands, I woke up Saturday in a four star hotel showered and went to work for four hours. Finishing work I jumped on a train to Tunis. Walked a bunch Then another train 2 hours south. Following that I walked around an 100+ year old city.

Following this I climbed on a bus with Ismael his brother Osama and his cousin Ayemen. Again another hour south. Bye bus.

Spent the night at ismaels house with his gracious family and his authentic mother. I could tell she was genuinely concenred that I had enough to ear, she always put the food closest to me. The whole family was looking out for me even the brothers who in most societies would be dog eat dog trying to get the most food for themselves.

Slept at ismaels spent the morning in a smoke filled café and then vanned bussed and trained back to tunis. Another 3 hours or more travelling. Spent the night at the apartment of ismael then trained it to work this morning.

The reason I told you that was so that I could extract what lies between the lines.

My bed has been moving like an out of control slinkly all over this country. I have travelled for over 7 hours four trains two buses and a van and I haven’t showered since Saturday morning. Not to mention im not sure where ill be sleeping tonight or if ill have a chance to shower. Apparently ill be staying at the house of someone called red one I hope its not the redman. My life is like a gameshow of survivor who knows if ill be sowering tonight.

Don’t worry though, although I also havenùt changed my clothes ive been taking lots of travellers showers (quadruple liberal application of deodorant).

Im quite enjoying my time in this country however im sure those who work in close proximity to me today aren’t so happy to have me here.

On an unrelated note to bad personal hygene I had dinner with kaela essagher (sorry for the spelling kaela). It was pretty surreal to have dinner with a daltech classmate on the other side of the world. I think we have officially now spoken more in French than English.

Lots im seeing and hearing that ill probably keep my mouth shut about. If youre wondering where the comment came from then do some research on Tunisia. As I t ype that there is a large man standing behind me with arms crossed reading my screen and in front of me is a picture of the president … wait make that two pictures. Im currently debating going up and changing what ive just written.

Debating heading to Kenya for two monthes following may 12th. However two things stray me from that idea. First and most prevalent life is somewhat uncomfortable here by times do I really want another two month’s seeing as it will probably be harder there than here. Second reason is that primetime in Calgary for a job is probably closer to the beginning of may then the end of july.

Sounds like thunder out there better get back to work. Currently in hammam lif a few hundred meters from the mediterannian. Probably not likely to be voted nicest place on the Mediterranean any time soon though.

That’s it and that’s all. Ill keep you posted with lore details of the bathroom facilities my personal hygene and my love of the keyboard

All the best; Luke


In reference to your much appreciated comments

Alright I’ll take the hint and figure out the grammar. But you should be happy I’m writing in English and not French. Then no one from any country would be deciphering it.

Jessica Julien is a gigolo but quite a nice guy. Dustin is the one who poured the water on chuckers head so im sure youll find that even funnier. I know I was losing it when hennigar texted me/ all I can hear is dustin cackling and Andrew going “what the ____”.

Andrew theres very few toilet seats here so it makes it hard to lay out the paper. However what makes it even harder is the fact that there is rarely toilet paper. I imagine your shaking your head right now. There is however a hose with a tap withing reach of the toilet. Use your imagination from here on in. its much more conveneient then India though where they mostly have only buckets.

1 comment:

leebean said...

Hey there luke. I am glad that you are talking in english for sure. If it was in french the kids would have to read it to me. Keep up the blogging we are all enjoying it.